A healthy and balanced diet always includes a serving of fruits. Just like vegetables, fruits give the essential nutrients that we need, and protect us from diseases as well. Eating fruits regularly along with vegetables reduces the risk of having cardiovascular disorders, such as heart attack and stroke, type II diabetes, and cancer. Here are 5 fruit recommendations that you may want add to your diet. However do be careful with these fruits as with all fruits. If you have a Candida overgrowth, you need to avoid fruits with sugars, our own writer Sean has contracted candida due to being on a fruit diet. If you wish to be more creative, you can try juicing the fruits as well. If you have a lot of trouble digesting foods, get a lot of gas, then please consider our probiotics and digestive enzymes as it can really help.
- Apples can lower the amount of bad cholesterol or lowdensity lipoprotein (LDL). Therefore, it prevents the development of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases.
- Apples can also help in reducing body weight, making it a good option for people who want to lose weight. This property is attributed to the pectin content of the apple, which produces the feeling of satiety.
- Maintaining the pulmonary system healthy is also one of the benefits of eating apples. It reduces the incidence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma.
- Apples also prevent cancer. It contains flavonoids which act as antioxidants.
- It is also proven that an apple is an effective teeth cleanser and mouth freshener.
- Oranges, and other citrus fruits, contain high amounts of vitamin C or ascorbic acid, which can boost the immune system. One mediumsized orange contains about 70mg of vitamin C.
- It is also a good source of fiber, which helps your body in digesting food. It also gives the feeling of satiety.
- Folate can also be found in oranges. This is essential for pregnant women to prevent neural tube defects during the development stage of their babies.
- It also contains hesperidin, which lowers levels of bad cholesterol in the blood.
- Bananas are considered to be a good source of energy. It contains considerable amounts of sugar, phosphorus, iron and potassium, which can boost the body’s energy.
- Potassium is proven to lower blood pressure, thus bananas are beneficial to hypertensive people. It also helps in keeping the circulatory system healthy.
- Bananas can also relieve constipation, because it is also a good source of fiber.
- It is also proven that bananas can also improve mental health. It contains trypophan, which makes people feel happier and more relaxed. It also improves brain activities by boosting neurological processes.
- Containing high amounts of vitamin C and antioxidants, kiwis can neutralize free radicals in the body, thus preventing cancer.
- Kiwis also prevent the development of osteoarthritis by preventing the weakening of bones.
- High amounts of fiber can also be found in kiwis, aiding in digestion and preventing constipation.
- Kiwis can also be helpful in treating cough, asthma, and other respiratory diseases.
- Regulation of blood sugar levels is also one of the advantages of eating kiwi, thus preventing type II diabetes.
- Watermelon can prevent dehydration, because it contains almost 92% water.
- It is a good for people who lose weight because it has low amounts of calories.
- It also contains vitamin A, which is very helpful for maintaining good eyesight.
- Watermelon, when eaten regularly, is effective against typhoid fever.
- Crushed seeds of watermelon are also useful in purifying the blood.
Photo Credit – ollesvensson @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollesvensson/ @ Creative Commons