Your liver is one of your body’s most valued organs. While they’re all important, the liver acts like a filter and does it’s best to remove toxins from your body. When the liver isn’t working properly, you may end up with digestive issues, skin problems, and even problems with your memory and levels of concentration. Detoxifying the liver is especially important for patients suffering from Candida yeast infections, as their bodies and immune systems have been under attack for so long. A liver cleanse is one of the first things I recommend during the detox phase of their diet plan.
The Functions of the Liver
Your liver plays a major role in your health and well-being. Some of the main functions of the liver include:
- The production of bile, which is essential for digesting fats.
- The metabolism of proteins and fats as well as the storage of fat-soluble vitamins.
- Detoxification and the processing of different substances, including alcohol, environmental chemicals, hormones, and metabolic waste.
- The movement of dead bacteria, dead yeast cells, and other chemicals and organisms from the body.
Candida patients especially need a liver detox because of the high levels of toxins the yeast organism produces. The living organism produces tons of toxic waste; and then as it does it produces even more. I often have my patients detox before they start their main diet so that their livers can recover a bit and handle the die-off that is about to hit.
Reasons to Consider a Liver Detox
That said, you don’t need to be a Candida patient to undergo a liver detox. You’d take your car in for a tune-up annually, and I highly recommend doing the same for your liver. Here are some reasons why it’s important:
- Your mental clarity, focus, and moods will improve. When your liver is healthy, you have the ability to think clearly. When your body is full of toxins, you’ll tend to feel sluggish and tired.
- You’ll have an easier time with digestion and with burning body fat. This is because your liver produces the bile your body needs to break down fat and support your metabolism. When bile isn’t flowing properly, you tend to develop digestive problems and your metabolism slows.
- Your body’s blood sugar will be properly regulated. There’s a huge relationship between your liver, insulin production, and the conversion of sugar into usable glucose. A liver cleanse will enhance your body’s ability to properly convert these sugars.
- Your skin is the body’s largest organ and when your liver is working properly, your skin tends to look, feel, and protect your body more efficiently. Your skin will be better able to perspire, control your body temperature, and deal with free radicals in the environment.
- Your immune system will be greatly improved, thanks to the enhanced concentration of white blood cells that allow your liver to work as a filter for the toxins in your body.
How to Detox the Liver
You’ll want to touch base with your own naturopath or physician for specific instructions on choosing a detox program that is safe for you, but there are a few common methods you’ll likely encounter.
One of the easiest is a cleanse that comes in tablet or capsule form. You’d take the capsule a few times per day, with meals, and it will contain a blend of herbs and minerals designed to support liver function. I also commonly recommend a juice flush I often recommend, but it needs to be done under the careful supervision of a healthcare provider who can monitor the side effects.
When you do detox, you should consider taking nettle leaf tea.
There are, of course, plenty of things you can do to encourage liver function as you work to cure your Candida infection, including (but not limited to):
- Avoid coffee and caffeine;
- Avoid all forms of alcohol;
- Avoid chocolate and sweets;
- Avoid as many pharmaceutical drugs as possible;
- Learn to reduce stress;
- Eat more herbs and vegetables; and
- Consume warm water with lemon juice each morning
Your health depends on your liver’s ability to clear toxins from your body. Support your liver and you’ll likely have a much easier time fighting infections, including yeast infections – and you’ll feel brighter and more energized, too!