Salmon for breakfast? You bet!
We simply adore salmon in all its forms. Oily fish are the best! Salmon is born is fresh water before it spends most of its live navigating upstream, only to return in order to spawn. This mechanism is linked with olfactory memory and this is why salmon is considered ‘brain food’. Moreover, salmon prides itself in being rich with omega-3 fats that occur naturally in oily fish. This essential fatty acid contributes to healthy brain function, heart and general well being and are also beneficial for weight loss journeys.
Another superfood is the amazing quinoa. Pronounced keen-wah, quinoa is an ancient gluten free grain, one of the few complete protein which means it provides all nine essential acids necessary for good health. Originary in Bolivia, quinoa is a relative of spinach and beets and it is a nutritional powerhouse. One cup of quinoa contains 8 grams of protein!
Its health effects go beyond the vitamins and minerals we all know. There are more than thousands of minerals in quinoa seeds, and most of them include molecules that have been shown to have beneficial effect on clinical depression and cancer!
Let us show you how you can make the most of these two superfoods combined!
You will need:
- 1 cup quinoa ( white, red or black)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 leek
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- smoked salmon
- 1 lime, juice only
- cherry tomatoes, from the vine
- Cook the quinoa as instructed on the package.Normally, it works the same as rice, only the water to quinoa ratio is 1 for 2, instead of 1 for 3. Drain the water, let chill
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook for 4 minutes for slightly runny yolk. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chop the avocado in bite sized pieces; thinly cut the leek, leaving out the green part
- Serve the quinoa topped with the fried eggs, chopped avocado and smoked salmon slices.
- Drizzle with the lime juice and sprinkle chopped leak.
There you have it! Super delicious, gourmet, yet healthy breakfast in almost no time!
How do you like mornings now?